This bread is so easy to make, and delicious! It’s soft, but won’t collapse onto itself once you cut a slice, like some breads do.
Oh, did I mention it’s VEGAN! Yep, you read that right. This bread recipe is vegan, but don’t worry, you can use butter (garlic butter! mmm..) in place of oil for a richer taste.
(psst, you can also use this recipe to make buns or pizza crust.. it’s versatile!)
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 tsp yeast.
- Combine flour, sugar & salt.
- Mix together with your hands.
- Create a little well in the flour, add yeast to the well and hot water over top.
- Let stand for 10 minutes (don't mix yet!).
- Mix on medium for a minute or so.
- Grab a hand full of flour and throw it on top of the dough just to make kneading easier.
- Knead a few times with your hands to form a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot.
- Rise for 40 minutes.
- Again, throw a small handful of flour on top to prevent bread from sticking to you, knead and form into loaves. (makes two small loaves)
- Grease your loaf pans.
- Put loaves in the pans, and let rise again in a warm place for 30 min covered with a hot damp linen cloth or paper towel.
- Cut diagonal slices on the top of the loaf about a half cm deep. Brush with a table spoon of butter, lard or olive oil.
- I sometimes sprinkle sea salt on the top.
- Bake at 375 for 27-30 min (adjust time if you make 1 large loaf, muffin-tin sized buns)